[lustre-discuss] Lustre newbie problems: formatting disk or partition with Lustre filesystem fails

Mohr Jr, Richard Frank (Rick Mohr) rmohr at utk.edu
Mon Nov 28 08:10:49 PST 2016

> On Nov 28, 2016, at 9:58 AM, Stefano Turolla <turolla at genzentrum.lmu.de> wrote:
>
> thanks for the quick reply, I am maybe doing the wrong thing. What I am
> trying to achieve is to have a Lustre volume to be shared among the
> nodes, and the 30TB is the size of existing storage.
>
> Should I create a separate (and much smaller) partition for MDT? How I
> then set up the data partition to be shared? For the time being I would
> prefer having MGS and MDT on the same system.

Yes, you will need a separate partition or block device for the combined MGT/MDT.  That storage will be used to store the metadata info for the files in your Lustre file system.  The actual file data will be stored on one or more OST devices.  In most Lustre setups, there is a server that mounts the MDT/MGT device (which is referred to as the MDS/MGS node).   One or more additional servers then mount the OSTs (these are referred to as the OSS nodes).  However, it is possible to have a single server that mounts the MDT/MGT as well as the OSTs.

If you are interested in some entry-level Lustre tutorials, check out http://lustre.ornl.gov/lustre101-courses.

--
Rick Mohr
Senior HPC System Administrator