[lustre-discuss] Problems setting up lustre 2.8

Phill Harvey-Smith p.harvey-smith at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 07:38:39 PDT 2016

On 13/09/2016 14:59, Crowe, Tom wrote:
> Your mkfs.lustre will look something like this:
>
> mkfs.lustre ‹ost --mgsnode=NID_OF_MGS --fsname=FS_NAME --index=DECIMAL_NUM
> ‹backfstype=zfs --network=NET_TYPE testpool/ost-name-here
>
> The last argument, is the zfs vdev device you want mkfs.lustre to create
> for you.

Right getting a bit further now,

[root at oric x86_64]# mkfs.lustre --fsname=test --mgs --mdt --index=0
--backfstype=zfs testpool/mgt_test

    Permanent disk data:
Target:     test:MDT0000
Index:      0
Lustre FS:  test
Mount type: zfs
Flags:      0x65
               (MDT MGS first_time update )
Persistent mount opts:
Parameters:

mkfs_cmd = zfs create -o canmount=off -o xattr=sa testpool/mgt_test
Writing testpool/mgt_test properties
   lustre:version=1
   lustre:flags=101
   lustre:index=0
   lustre:fsname=test
   lustre:svname=test:MDT0000

So it looks like the MDT/MGS is being created on the zfs pool, however
step 3 says to try and mount this, but I get :

[root at oric x86_64]# mount -t lustre testpool/mgt_test /mgt_mds
mount.lustre: mount testpool/mgt_test at /mgt_mds failed: No such device
Are the lustre modules loaded?
Check /etc/modprobe.conf and /proc/filesystems

Yes the modules are loaded, and lustre appears in /proc/filesystems.

Cheers.

Phill.