[lustre-discuss] migrating from a stand-alone mgs to a merged mgs

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Sat Sep 24 01:44:49 PDT 2016

Note that putting the MGS on the same partition reduces your flexibility in configuring Lustre, for example if you add a second filesystem on the same MDS you can't start the second filesystem easily without starting the combined MDS+MGS.

That said, if you still want to merge them, you need to copy the files from CONFIGS/ in the MGT filesystem, and copy it to the MDT filesystem. I'm just trying to think of what else is needed so that the MGS service is started with the MDS.

There is some documentation about this in the Lustre user manual to go the other way (separate combined MDS+MGS), so you should take a look at that.

Cheers, Andreas