[lustre-discuss] Does an updated version exist?

E.S. Rosenberg esr+lustre at mail.hebrew.edu
Wed Sep 28 06:57:51 PDT 2016

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 12:51 AM, Christopher J. Morrone <morrone2 at llnl.gov>
wrote:

> On 08/26/2016 12:48 PM, Oleg Drokin wrote:
>
> > (it's best to be written by third parties anyway since once you work too
> much
> > on some code, you take too many things for granted/think they are
> obvious,
> > and then the end result has gaps that make it hard on the outsiders).
>
> That is an common excuse that I hear around these parts, but I simply do
> not accept that axiom.
>
> Yes, there is a kernel of truth that developers can write documentation
> that is less than helpful at times for a myriad of reasons.  But none of
> those reasons are an adequate excuse for the rather extreme abdication
> of documentation responsibility that Lustre tends to adopt.
>
> There are numerous ways to address the issue of the developers taking
> too many things for granted, or failing to document because they seem
> too obvious.
>
> First of all, I would argue that this is most likely to happen when the
> developers do not practice documenting on a regular basis as an
> integrated part of the development process.  If it is a common, required
> process, many developers will get better at it over time.
>
> Then there are reviews.  Good peer review of documentation will catch
> many bad assumptions in the same way that good peer review catches
> assumptions and mistakes in code.
>
> And then after the review process, we should understand that design
> documentation is a living document that is always growing and improving,
> much like the code itself.  When outsiders or new developers point out
> unclear parts that remain after reviews, those sections can _still_ be
> improved!
>
> The real reason that documentation doesn't happen is not because
> developers are incapable of doing it well.  I would argue that a
> software developer incapable of documenting their designs, apis, on disk
> formats, etc., is a person lacking a significant software development
> skill for software projects of any significant size and/or complexity.
>
> I think instead that most of the core Lustre developers don't _want_ to
> do it and not enough of the managers of those developers are willing to
> _make_ them do it for whatever reasons.
>
> Sure, we _can_ all sit around hoping that some day an external entity
> can come along again to cough up a bunch of money to make a one-time
> burst at design documents.  That is largely what we're doing, and it
> isn't working very well.  That method is pretty clearly not sustainable,
> and does not result in maintained documentation.
>
> Will this ever change in Lustre?  Probably not.  We are very set in our
> ways.  Change is hard.

I hope your prediction is wrong because good quality docs is one of the
biggest missing things (other then seamless mainline kernel integration),
though I may be wrong it seems to me that even from a commercial point of
view it makes more sense for Intel that there should be good docs.....
Am now finally going to read this doc.
Eli