[lustre-discuss] permanent configuration: "set_param -P" or "conf_param"

Reinoud Bokhorst rbokhorst at astron.nl
Thu Apr 6 08:31:01 PDT 2017

Hi all,
Two days ago I made the following Lustre configuration changes:

lctl set_param -P osc.*.checksums=0
lctl set_param -P osc.*.max_pages_per_rpc=512
lctl set_param -P osc.*.max_rpcs_in_flight=32
lctl set_param -P osc.*.max_dirty_mb=128

I ran these commands on the MGS. The -P flag promised to make a
permanent change and doing this on the MGS would make it system-wide.
Indeed directly after running the commands, I noticed that the settings
were nicely propagated to other nodes.

When I look now, only "max_rpcs_in_flight" and "max_dirty_mb" still have
those values, the others are back to their defaults, namely checksums=1
and max_pages_per_rpc=256. The compute nodes have been rebooted in the
mean time.

Two questions:
- Why were the settings of checksums and max_pages_per_rpc lost? (I
suspect during the reboot)
- What is the proper way to make these changes permanent? Should I use
"lctl conf_param"?

Our lustre version:

# lctl get_param version
version=
lustre: 2.7.0
kernel: patchless_client
build:  2.7.0-RC4--PRISTINE-3.10.0-327.36.3.el7.x86_64

Thanks,
Reinoud Bokhorst