[lustre-discuss] quota: space accounting isn't functional

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Tue Dec 5 09:12:09 PST 2017

Hmm, stupid me - I had only some files belonging to user 'root' on that filesystem.
Checking the quota of a user when there are no user-files does not work.

So for the record: no quota, no space accounting if there is nothing to account for.

TLDR:
I have since reformatted, issued "lctl conf_param hebetest.quota.mdt=ug" and "lctl conf_param
hebetest.quota.ost=ug", just to see these error messages again.

For the fun of it, I did "lctl conf_param hebetest.quota.mdt=u" and "lctl conf_param
hebetest.quota.ost=u", which did not provoke these messages again.

I asked for my quota
--------------------------
lfs quota -v -u troth /lustre/testhebe
Disk quotas for usr troth :
      Filesystem  kbytes   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit   grace
/lustre/testhebe
                     [0]       0       0       -       0       0       0       -
hebetest-MDT0000_UUID
                       0       -       0       -       0       -       0       -
quotactl ost0 failed.
quotactl ost1 failed.
Total allocated inode limit: 0, total allocated block limit: 0
Some errors happened when getting quota info. Some devices may be not working or deactivated. The data
in "[]" is inaccurate.
------------------------

"quotactl failed" never happens/is never explained?

Since measuring a zero is always tricky business, I put two directories pinned to my two OSTs and
wrote one file each _as user troth_.

Now I get

-------------------------
lfs quota -v -u troth /lustre/testhebe
Disk quotas for usr troth (uid 4128):
      Filesystem  kbytes   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit   grace
/lustre/testhebe
                 1525409       0       0       -       4       0       0       -
hebetest-MDT0000_UUID
                       8       -       0       -       4       -       0       -
hebetest-OST0000_UUID
                  704780       -       0       -       -       -       -       -
hebetest-OST0001_UUID
                  820622       -       0       -       -       -       -       -
Total allocated inode limit: 0, total allocated block limit: 0

(and of course the group quota also works).

Cheers,
Thomas