[lustre-discuss] Announce: Lustre Systems Administration Guide

DEGREMONT Aurelien aurelien.degremont at cea.fr
Fri Dec 15 08:12:55 PST 2017

Hi

My current understanding of Documentation status is that it is hard to
update and we want to make this easy to encourage people to improve it.
Correct? I clearly understand this point and it makes sense.

My point of view on this topic, is that MediaWiki is not a good fit for
an official documentation.

* It is hard to organize pages in MediaWiki. Pages do not have a logical
flow. Hard to have a sequence of pages or tasks. You just have pages and
categories. This is quickly a mess.
* Hard to export pages, hard to convert to another format. Documentation
will be only browsable online. No more external PDF (useful when you do
not have Internet access on your compute cluster). Plugins exists but
are hard to install.
* I do not have in mind a good project documentation which is using
MediaWiki to maintain it.

My understanding of the current workflow for editing doc is:
- create a JIRA ticket
- git clone the source
- edit the docbook doc
- push modification to Gerrit
- wait for approval

My proposal/Features I like with readthedocs-like system are:
- Nice looking HTML documentation (https://docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/)
- Easy to download in nice looking PDF or HTML version (see links at
bottom left)
- Could be edited online thanks to "Edit on GitHub" link (top right),
which will transform your edit into a PR. This is few clicks and online
editing, in your browser, no need for an explicit git-clone and a terminal.
- Changes could be moderated (thanks to PR)
- Documentation has clear versions (see v1.0.2 link at bottom left
http://graphite.readthedocs.io/en/1.0.2/ ).
- Documentation is automatically updated when new commits are made,
thanks to callbacks.

Indeed, this requires a Git repo for documentation management. I agree
this is similar to what we currently have, but I think we can drop JIRA
ticket requirement.

Regarding documentation syntax, Sphinx (backend behind readthedocs)
supports Markdown and ReStructuredText (rst). Both formats are really
popular at the moment and, even if I used to use docbook in the past and
was fine with it, I know a lot of people is complaining about its XML
style syntax. Markdown and RST have a wiki-style syntax which is much
more user friendly.

It is also possible to deploy our own Sphinx runtime on lustre.org
servers if we can manage to setup the same feature readthedocs.org put
on their own.

I hope this helps clarify my point of view.

This does not blame the really good content that was recently put on
wiki.lustre.org, just the format, not the content :)

Aurélien