[lustre-discuss] Lustre Client in a container

Patrick Farrell paf at cray.com
Sat Dec 30 14:12:26 PST 2017

David,

I have no direct experience trying this, but I would imagine not - Lustre is a kernel module (actually a set of kernel modules), so unless the container tech you're using allows loading multiple different versions of *kernel modules*, this is likely impossible.  My limited understanding of container tech on Linux suggests that this would be impossible, containers allow userspace separation but there is only one kernel/set of modules/drivers.

I don't know of any way to run multiple client versions on the same node.

The other question is *why* do you want to run multiple client versions on one node...?  Clients are usually interoperable across a pretty generous set of server versions.

- Patrick