[lustre-discuss] design to enable kernel updates

Brian Andrus toomuchit at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 11:54:49 PST 2017

All,

I have been contemplating how lustre could be configured such that I
could update the kernel on each server without downtime.

It seems this is _almost_ possible when you have a san system so you
have failover for OSTs and MDTs. BUT the MGS/MGT seems to be the
problematic one, since rebooting that seems cause downtime that cannot
be avoided.

If you have a system where the disks are physically part of the OSS
hardware, you are out of luck. The hypothetical scenario I am using is
if someone had a VM that was a qcow image on a lustre mount (basically
an active, open file being read/written to continuously). How could
lustre be built to ensure anyone on the VM would not notice a kernel
upgrade to the underlying lustre servers.

Could such a setup be done? It seems that would be a better use case for
something like GPFS or Gluster, but being a die-hard lustre enthusiast,
I want to at least show it could be done.

Thanks in advance,

Brian Andrus