[lustre-discuss] Lustre on Ceph Block Devices

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Tue Feb 21 15:08:21 PST 2017

Has anyone ever ran Lustre OST's (and maybe MDT's)  on Ceph Radios Block
Devices?

In theory this would work just like an SAN attached solution.  Has anyone
ever done it before?  I know we are seeing decent performance from RBD on
our system but I don't have a way to test lustre on it.

I'm looking at a future system where Ceph and Lustre might be needed
(Object and High performance HPC) but also not a huge budget to have two
full disk stacks.  So an idea was to have lustre servers consume Ceph Block
devices, and that same cluster serves object requests.

Thoughts or prior art?  This probably isn't that different than the Cloud
Formation script that uses EBS volumes if it works as intended.

Thanks

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Director Advanced Research Computing - TS
XSEDE Campus Champion
brockp at umich.edu
(734)936-1985