[lustre-discuss] OSTs per OSS with ZFS

Brian Andrus toomuchit at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 09:07:26 PDT 2017

All,

We have been having some discussion about the best practices when
creating OSTs with ZFS.

The basic question is: What is the best ration of OSTs per OSS when
using ZFS?
It is easy enough to do a single OST with all disks and have reliable
data protection provided by ZFS. It may be an better scenario when
snapshots of lfs become a feature as well.

However, multiple OSTs can mean more stripes and faster reads/writes. I
have seen some tests that were done quite some time ago which may not be
so valid anymore with the updates to Lustre.

We have a system for testing that has 5 NVMes each. We can do 1 zfs file
system with all or we can separate them into 5 (which would forgo some
of the features of zfs).

Any prior experience/knowledge/suggestions would be appreciated.

Brian Andrus