[lustre-discuss] KMOD vs DKMS

Brian Andrus toomuchit at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 10:22:36 PDT 2017

All,

I have been watching some of the discussions/issues folks have with
building lustre and I am wondering what the consensus is on the two
approaches.

Myself, I have been building my own RPMs for some time and it seemed to
me that the general direction of linux was to move toward kmod and away
from dkms, so I redesigned my build scripts to use zfs/kmod and dropped
ldiskfs. Certainly, this has made life easier when there are kernel
updates :)

So if there is a choice between the two, what is preferred and why?

Hopefully this doesn't start a war or anything...

Brian Andrus
Firstspot, Inc.