[lustre-discuss] backup zfs MDT or migrate from ZFS back to ldiskfs

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Sat Jul 22 16:14:24 PDT 2017

Using rsync or tar to backup/restore a ZFS MDT is not supported, because this changes the dnode numbering, but ZFS OI Scrub is not yet implemented (there is a Jira ticket for this, and some work is underway there).

Options include using zfs send/recv, as you were using, or just incrementally replacing the disks in the pool one at a time and letting them resilver to the SSDs (assuming they are larger than the HDDs they are replacing).

I'm not sure why send/recv is so slow and exploding the metadata size, but it might relate to the ashift=12 on the target and ashift=9 on the source?  This can be particularly bad with RAIDz compared to mirrors, since small blocks (as typically used on the MDT) will always need to write 16KB instead of 8 or 12KB (with 2 or 3 mirrors).

Cheers, Andreas