[lustre-discuss] How does Lustre client side caching work?

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Tue Jul 25 23:19:50 PDT 2017

Lustre currently only uses RAM for client side cache. This is kept coherent across all clients by the LDLM, but is not persistent across reboots.

We have discussed integration of fscache with the Lustre client to allow persistent cache on NVMe/Optane/NVRAM or other fast local storage. IMHO, there is little benefit to cache on slower local devices (e.g. HDD) since Lustre can read over the network (assuming IB and decent servers) at a large fraction of the PCI bandwidth. That would only be a win over WAN or other slow networks.

Cheers, Andreas