[lustre-discuss] Lustre and OFED

E.S. Rosenberg esr+lustre at mail.hebrew.edu
Sun Jul 30 04:53:23 PDT 2017

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 6:22 PM, Ben Evans <bevans at cray.com> wrote:

> On 7/28/17, 11:12 AM, "Harald van Pee" <pee at hiskp.uni-bonn.de> wrote:
>
> >Hello
> >
> >On Friday 28 July 2017 15:48:12 Ben Evans wrote:
> >> Eli, just to clarify are you talking about using the in-kernel OFED vs.
> >> vendor (Mellanox) OFED, or
> >
> >In our case we are using the OFED of the debian distribution used.

I am using the IB support that ships with Debian/CentOS/mainline kernel and
did not install any OFED/Mellanox OFED package.
As far as I can tell RDMA does work. (using the various test tools
suggested here https://community.mellanox.com/docs/DOC-2086)

> >> are you talking about using the ConnectX-3
> >> hardware in IPoIB mode and just using it as a faster Ethernet?
> >
> >is  possible? How one have to do this?
>
> You'd configure the lustre LNET to use it like any other ethernet device.
> The downside of this is that it's slower due to a lack of RDMA and other
> features that IB has.  I'm not sure if there's a real upside to it.

Now you've made me unsure of what whether or not my Lustre install is using
RDMA, how should I be able to tell (we are definitely using IPoIB/o2ib)?
Thanks,
Eli