[lustre-discuss] Backup software for Lustre

Brett Lee brettlee.lustre at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 14:12:39 PDT 2017

Hi.  In what I thought was a valid test, I was unable to confirm that a
backup and restore retained the layouts.  Perhaps my expectation or process
was incorrect?  The process was:

1.  Create 4 files, each with different stripe sizes and stripe counts
(verified with getstripe).
2.  Back up the files using tar-1.26-31.el7.x86_64.
3.  Recreate a file system and restore the files.

Backup command:  tar --xattrs -zcvf /scratch.tgz /scratch
Restore command:  tar zxvf /scratch.tgz

After restoration, getstripe showed that each file had the default stripe
count (1) and stripe size (1MB).
FWIW:  After restoring, getfattr produced the same result for each file:
# getfattr -d -m - -R <file>
lustre.lov=0s0AvRCwEAAAAdAAAAAAAAAAAEAAACAAAAAAAQAAEAAAAFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=
trusted.link=0s3/HqEQEAAAAuAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABYAAAACAAAEAAAAAAUAAAAAMS5kZA==
trusted.lma=0sAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAAgAAAB0AAAAAAAAA
trusted.lov=0s0AvRCwEAAAAdAAAAAAAAAAAEAAACAAAAAAAQAAEAAAAFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=

Brett
--
Protect Yourself Against Cybercrime
PDS Software Solutions LLC