[lustre-discuss] Lustre [2.8.0] flock Functionality

DeWitt, Chad ccdewitt at uncc.edu
Tue Mar 28 10:49:01 PDT 2017

Good afternoon, All.

We've encountered several programs that require flock, so we are now
investigating enabling flock functionality.  However, the Lustre manual
includes a passage in regards to flocks which gives us pause:

"Warning
This mode affects the performance of the file being flocked and may affect
stability, depending on the Lustre version used.  Consider using a newer
Lustre version which is more stable. If the consistent mode is enabled and
no applications are using flock, then it has no effect."

We are running Lustre 2.8.0 (servers and clients).  I've looked through
Jira, but didn't see anything that looked like a showstopper.

Just curious if anyone has enabled flocks and encountered issues?  Anything
in particular to look out for?

Thank you in advance,
Chad

Chad DeWitt, CISSP | HPC Storage Administrator

UNC Charlotte *| *ITS – University Research Computing