[lustre-discuss] Robinhood exhausting RPC resources against 2.5.5 lustre file systems

Ms. Megan Larko dobsonunit at gmail.com
Fri May 19 05:58:18 PDT 2017

Greetings Jessica,

I'm not sure I am correctly understanding the behavior "robinhood activity
floods the MDT".   The robinhood program as you (and I) are using it is
consuming the MDT CHANGELOG via a reader_id which was assigned when the
CHANGELOG was enabled on the MDT.   You can check the MDS for these readers
via "lctl get_param mdd.*.changelog_users".  Each CHANGELOG reader must
either be consumed by a process or destroyed otherwise the CHANGELOG will
grow until it consumes sufficient space to stop the MDT from functioning
correctly.  So robinhood should consume and then clear the CHANGELOG via
this reader_id.  This implementation of robinhood is actually a rather
light-weight process as far as the MDS is concerned.   The load issues I
encountered were on the robinhood server itself which is a separate server
from the Lustre MGS/MDS server.

Just curious, have you checked for multiple reader_id's on your MDS for
this Lustre file system?

P.S. My robinhood configuration file is using nb_threads = 8, just for a
data point.

Cheers,
megan