[lustre-discuss] Single server as mds and oss with a single ib card for lustre 2.x???

Brian Andrus toomuchit at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 07:33:05 PST 2017

Nothing technically wrong with it, but as was discussed previously, not
much benefit to lustre over other filesystems when using only one OSS/OST.

Any parallelism by lustre by using multiple OSTs in a single box can be
had with other filesystems (such as ZFS). The main beauty of a
distributed filesystem is the parallelism among */multiple destination
servers/*. That's what makes it so scalable.

So, yes, not recommended, but yes can be done. I did it that way just to
learn lustre long ago.

Brian Andrus