[lustre-discuss] Lustre clients and Lustre servers (MDS/OSS) operating system requirements?

Jones, Peter A peter.a.jones at intel.com
Sun Oct 8 04:42:12 PDT 2017

Hmm. Perhaps one of the end user sites will speak up with something that they have tried successfully but I cannot think of anyone that I have heard running RHEL 5.x on the Lustre servers but RHEL 7.x on the Lustre clients.  Why os there a reluctance to upgrade the OS on the storage servers? Is it older storage not supported on supported with newer version of RHEL?

On 2017-10-07, 10:59 PM, "lustre-discuss on behalf of Amjad Syed" <lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org<mailto:lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org> on behalf of amjadcsu at gmail.com<mailto:amjadcsu at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hello,
We have an existing HPC running Lustre 1.8.7 on RHEL 5.4
The Lustre servers (MDS and OSS) are all running RHEL 5.4
The Lustre clients(HPC compute nodes)  are also running RHEL 5.4
Now the management has decided to upgrade the compute nodes to RHEL 7.
But they do not want to upgrade the OS of Lustre Servers which is still RHEL 5.4
So the question is will this configuration work where the Lustre clients are RHEL 7 and Lustre server are all running RHEL 5.4?

Thanks.