[lustre-discuss] Linux users are not able to access lustre folders

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Fri Oct 20 15:47:01 PDT 2017

On Oct 20, 2017, at 09:37, Ravi Bhat <ravibhatk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rick
> Thanks, I have created user (luser6) in client as well as in lustre servers. But I get the same error as
> No directory /home/luser6
> Logging in with home="/".
>
> But now I can cd /home/luser6 manually and create files or folders.

Note that the "luser6" needs to have the same numeric UID/GID as on the clients.
Copying /etc/passwd to the MDS is the easiest way to do this (it isn't needed on the OSS nodes).  You probably do NOT want to copy /etc/shadow to the MDS, to prevent regular users from logging in there.

You can check that this is configured correctly by running on the MDS (as root):

  /usr/sbin/l_getidentity -d {uid}

to verify that "uid" is accessible from /etc/passwd (or NIS/LDAP/AD/whatever).

Cheers, Andreas