[lustre-discuss] Wrong --index set for OST

rodger rodger at csag.uct.ac.za
Sat Sep 23 06:07:31 PDT 2017

Dear All,

In the process of upgrading 1.8.x to 2.x I've messed up a number of the
index values for OSTs by running tune2fs with the --index value set. To
compound matters while trying to get the OSTs to mount I erased the
last_rcvd files on the OSTs. I'm looking for a way to confirm what the
index should be for each device. Part of the reason for my difficulty is
that in the evolution of the filesystem some OSTs were decommissioned
and so the full set no longer has a sequential set of index values. In
practicing for the upgrade the trial sets that I created did have nice
neat sequential indexes and the process I developed broke when I used
the real data. :-(

The result is that although the lustre filesystem mounts and all
directories appear to be listed files in directories mostly have
question marks for attributes and are not available for access. I'm
assuming this is because the index for the OST holding the file is wrong.

Any pointers to recovery would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Rodger