[lustre-discuss] Do I need Lustre?

Patrick Farrell paf at cray.com
Fri Apr 27 19:25:07 PDT 2018

One factor is probably budget - Lustre is probably a higher budget option, in terms of hardware and time investment.  I would guess at the 6-8 node range you probably don't need its speed, though you might need at least one other trick it has:

One thing Lustre gives that NFS does not is the ability for multiple nodes to write to the same file in parallel while maintaining consistency.  It's a clustered/parallel file system, not just a network file system.  Some codes require this if you want to run them across multiple nodes.

You might start by setting up whatever seems "easy" to you, probably an NFS share of a storage appliance you've already got, and then see what happens.  If users are happy and you don't seem to be spending a lot of time doing I/O, then you're probably OK.  If not, Lustre is more work, but you do get something for your labors. :)