[lustre-discuss] Lustre Size Variation after formatiing

Ms. Megan Larko dobsonunit at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 10:42:27 PDT 2018

from ANS on 21 Aug 2018:
Thanks Rick for your detailed info.

Can you please let me know what are the preferred standard benchmark tools
that i can use for testing the lustre like IOR and what is the result that
i can expect.

Thanks,
ANS.

Hi!
I have successfully used ior (version 3.1.0 currently) and fio (version
2.3) to check I/O to and from Lustre File Systems.   The results you may
obtain depend upon:
* hw (network connections, target disk speed, ...)
* the design of your benchmark query
  - Generally two cases: "hero numbers" which are the best that
hardware/software stack can do, and "Your Use Case" which are numbers you
may achieve based upon your expected use case and educated decisions (about
striping, block size, write behavior, ...)

So I do not know what you might expect for your Lustre File System; I know
only what I might expect from mine.  I'm not trying to be snarky here, just
honest.  My sample numbers probably would not be helpful to you.

Cheers,
megan