[lustre-discuss] Making a copy of an OST

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Tue Dec 4 01:22:46 PST 2018

On Nov 21, 2018, at 22:32, Roger Sersted <rs1 at aps.anl.gov> wrote:

> Lustre Server OS Version: CentOS 7.4
> Lustre Server version: 2.10.2
> Server Kernel version: 3.10.0-693.5.2
> Filesystem: ldiskfs
>
> I have an older disk array with a hardware failure.  I suspect the
> drives and data are still valid.
>
> What I plan to do is migrate the data off of a similar model array, move
> the drives and migrate the data from the failed array.  In order to do
> this, I need to migrate just an OST to a different device.  I can't use
> lfs_migrate, because that works at the file level.  I suspect the best
> route to go is to create a new device and use "dd" to copy the contents
> of the source device to the target device.
>
> Is there a better solution?
>
> Anything I should be aware of regarding dd and an OST?
>
> The arrays in question are enterprise class systems with caching
> controllers configured for RAID6.

Hi Roger,
I just noticed your email didn't get a response.

The OST backup/restore process is discussed in the Lustre manual, https://build.whamcloud.com/job/lustre-manual/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/lustre_manual.html#dbdoclet.backup_device

Using "dd" is fine, as long as the target device is as the source.

Cheers, Andreas
---
Andreas Dilger
Principal Lustre Architect