[lustre-discuss] projects and project quota

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Mon Dec 10 08:38:10 PST 2018

Hi all,

two questions:
How do I define a "project"?
Why do I gent an error when enabling project quota?

The system ("hebe") is running Lustre 2.10.5 and zfs 0.7.9, but it was installed and formatted with
2.10.2 and zfs 0.7.1 (and LU-7991 was resolved November 17, fix version is 2.10.3).

When I got to the MGS with
> lctl conf_param hebe.quota.ost=ugp
I get
> can't enable quota enforcement since space accounting isn't functional. Please run tunefs.lustre
--quota

Likewise with 'lctl conf_param hebe.quota.mdt=ugp'

And if I check with
> lctl get_param osd-*.*.quota_slave.info
I get
quota enabled:  ugp
space acct:     ug

Now I do remember a similar issue when trying to check quotas on an empty file system - no files, no
space accounting, no quota, very easy to see.

This leads to my first question: how to define a "project". Perhaps without a project, project quota
cannot be either?

Users and Groups exist naturally, because it's Linux. For a project, I should do something - and I was
unable to find any hints neither in the Lustre manual nor via Google.

Any instructions anywhere?

Thanks,
Thomas

Thomas Roth
Department: Informationstechnologie
Location: SB3 2.291
Phone: +49-6159-71 1453  Fax: +49-6159-71 2986

GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
Planckstraße 1, 64291 Darmstadt, Germany, www.gsi.de

Commercial Register / Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 1528
Managing Directors / Geschäftsführung:
Professor Dr. Paolo Giubellino, Ursula Weyrich, Jörg Blaurock
Chairman of the Supervisory Board / Vorsitzender des GSI-Aufsichtsrats:
State Secretary / Staatssekretär Dr. Georg Schütte