[lustre-discuss] the .lustre/fid special directory

Ms. Megan Larko dobsonunit at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 09:07:02 PST 2018

Greetings Assembled Wisdom!

I have a question regarding the special directory found on a Lustre File
System mount point ".lustre/fid".

I have several Lustre File Systems currently running
2.7.19.8-3.10.0_514.2.2 on CentOS 7.3.1611 each of which has its Lustre
mountpoint, say /mnt/Dev1, /mnt/Dev2, for example.

On each of these mount points I have the special directory:
/mnt/Dev1/.lustre:
dr-x------ 2 root root 25088 Jan  1  1970 lost+found
d--x------2 root root 25088 Jan  1 1970 fid
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 25088 Jan 19 21:11 ..

Yes, each Lustre mount point has the "Jan  1 1970" date on those dirs.

The command "ls -l /mnt/Dev1/.lustre/fid"  returns nothing, not even a
permission error.

I am asking because my newly upgraded version of Robinhood Policy Engine
3.1 (from 3.0), now shows an error "_set_mount_point | Error: failed to get
FID for special directory </mnt/Dev1/.lustre/fid>: Permission denied when I
execute a "rbh-report" command.

Other than this new error on the Robinhood server, everything else is
occurring normally.  I am seeing what I believe to be correct Robinhood
database information.

- Is this /mnt/Dev1/.lustre special directory supposed to have these
unusual dates associated with the directories?
- Is this /mnt/Dev1/.lustre special directory supposed to have the unusual
permissions associated with sub-dirs?

Could this be related to LU-10243?   (I cannot get to that bug to view any
details yet.)

Cheers,
megan