[lustre-discuss] Lustre as /home directory

Steve Barnet barnet at icecube.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 16 07:21:22 PST 2018

On 2/16/18 8:53 AM, Michael Watters wrote:
> Can't be much worse than NFS.

Oh yes, it can! It will really depend upon how your
users work with it. If you regularly have many
people building their software chains, that can drag
your interactive response to its knees very quickly.
If your users also like a to drop many thousands of
small files into just a few directories, you will
definitely notice that as well.

We have found that NFS (while it certainly will also
suffer) generally holds up better than Lustre in those
use cases. No particularly earth shattering news there.

We have generally kept /home on NFS, and have fairly
restrictive quotas there. The idea is that /home is
used for software builds and final results, but that
the heavy cluster processing workloads are handled
by lustre.

This has worked out OK. We still run into plenty of
cases where people do the wrong thing, but we can
generally redirect them to the right place.

Best,

---Steve