[lustre-discuss] Are there any performance hits with the https://access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/speculativeexecution?

Patrick Farrell paf at cray.com
Mon Jan 8 05:34:34 PST 2018

Note though that since the servers live in kernel space they are also going to be affected only minimally.  The Lustre server code itself will see zero effect, since it’s entirely kernel code.  Other things running on those servers may see impact, and if there’s enough user space stuff, increased usage there could reduce resources available for Lustre.

Note also it’s important to distinguish here: the issue is not context switches (which is scheduling a different process), it’s syscalls, which do not require a context switch.  Context switches already had this sort of overhead.  A syscall is not a context switch.  (But the KPTI changes make the effective difference smaller.)