[lustre-discuss] Lustre 2.10.4 server with 2.5.32 clients

Mark Miller mmill116 at jhu.edu
Tue Jul 3 09:52:23 PDT 2018

Hi All,

A while back, someone asked the list about using Lustre 2.10.4 clients to access a Lustre 2.5.3 server, and the consensus was that it worked without issue.  We have the opposite scenario where we have RHEL6.9 compute nodes running version 2.5.32 of the Lustre client, and we are standing up a new Lustre server running version 2.10.4.  It seems to work with the testing I’ve done, but I wanted to see if anyone has run across any issues with running older Lustre clients against newer Lustre servers (and also see if anyone has run that combo successfully).

Part of the concern comes from http://wiki.lustre.org/Lustre_2.10.4_Changelog which says lists “Interoperability Support” as “Clients & Servers: Latest 2.9.X”

We are planning on upgrading the Lustre clients on the compute nodes during the next patching cycle, but upgrading now would require quiescing the nodes to unmount the lustre filesystems and unload the lustre module.

Thanks for any insights!!
Mark
--
Mark Miller – JHPCE Cluster Technology Manager
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health