[lustre-discuss] dealing with maybe dead OST

Robin Humble rjh+lustre at cita.utoronto.ca
Wed Jun 20 07:20:09 PDT 2018

Hi Malcolm,

thanks for replying.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 08:54:53PM +0000, Cowe, Malcolm J wrote:
>Would using hard links work, instead of mv?

hmm, interesting idea, but no:
  # ln some_file /lustre/shadow/some_file
  ln: failed to access 'some_file' Cannot send after transport endpoint shutdown

ln is trying to lstat() which fails. I think almost all client
operations are going to fail with a deactivated/down OST.

things like 'lfs getstripe' (pure MDS ops) work ok.

or did you mean doing hard links on the MDT?

unless there's a purely MDS lustre tool to do a mv/rename operation on
the MDT, then I think the only option is to mess around with the low
level suff on the MDT when it's mounted as ldiskfs and hope I don't
break too much...

there used to be a 'lfs mv' (now 'lfs migrate') but that isn't quite the
mv operations I'm after.

any advice or war stories (especially "this is a waste of your time -
it will never work because of X,Y,Z") would be much appreciated :)

time to read more of the lustre manual now...

cheers,
robin