[lustre-discuss] Static lfs?

Patrick Farrell paf at cray.com
Fri Mar 23 13:01:56 PDT 2018

Good afternoon,

I’ve got a developer question that perhaps someone has some insight on.  After some recent (a few months ago now) changes to make the Lustre libraries and utilities build dynamically linked rather than statically linked, I’ve got a problem.  If I build an lfs binary just by doing “make”, the resultant binary looks for various libraries in the build directories and cannot be run on any system other than the one it was built on (well, I guess without replicating the build directory structure).  When doing make rpms and installing the RPMs, it works fine.  The problem is “make rpms” takes ~5 minutes, as opposed to ~1 second for “make” in /utils.  (I assume “make install” works too, but I explicitly need to test on nodes other than the one where I’m doing the build, so that’s not an option.)

Does anyone have any insight on a way around this for a developer?  Either some tweak I can make locally to get static builds again, or some fix to make that would let the dynamically linked binary from “make” have correct library paths?  (To be completely clear: The dynamically linked binary from “make” looks for libraries in the locations where they are built, regardless of whether or not they’re already installed in the normal system library locations.)

Regards,
Patrick Farrell