[lustre-discuss] Usage for lfs setstripe -o ost_indices

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Fri Nov 9 09:50:59 PST 2018

This is https://jira.whamcloud.com/browse/LU-8417 "setstripe -o does not work on directories", which has not been implemented yet.

That said, setting the default striping to specific OSTs on a directory is usually not the right thing to do. That will result in OST imbalance.

Equivalent mechanisms include OST pools (which also allow a subset of OSTs to be used, unlike -o currently does), and has the benefit of labeling files with the pool to find them easier in the future (eg. for migrating out of the pool).

What is the end goal that you are trying to achieve?

Cheers, Andreas