[lustre-discuss] 2.10.5 compiler versions

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Thu Sep 6 02:27:29 PDT 2018

On Sep 5, 2018, at 22:13, E.S. Rosenberg <esr+lustre at mail.hebrew.edu> wrote:

> As far as I can tell autoconf (which is what is used by Lustre to generate configure and make files) at this time does not support generating a parallel configure script so short of manually editing the script which is totally not ideal there doesn't seem to be much to be done :/
>
> Maybe some time in the future, on a practical level it should certainly be possible after all lots of these small tasks should be able to run in parallel (as long as they don't depend on each other of course).

I was more thinking on the lines of "look at LB_CHECK_COMPILE usage and see if it can be optimized".

I suspect in some test cases we could just grep some header file to determine if a struct has some field, or if a #define exists, rather than spinning up a compiler.  Some cases are probably more complex, since the validity of some function might depend on a CONFIG_* option, so the text might be in the header, but #ifdef'd out.  If you can optimize 90% of the cases to use AC_CHECK_HEADER would probably speed things up noticeably.

I believe some of the test cases are dependent on earlier ones, but that is probably the minority of cases.

Cheers, Andreas
---
Andreas Dilger
Principal Lustre Architect