[lustre-discuss] Experience with resizing MDT

Mohr Jr, Richard Frank (Rick Mohr) rmohr at utk.edu
Wed Sep 19 15:49:45 PDT 2018

Has anyone had recent experience resizing a ldiskfs-backed MDT using the resize2fs tool?  We may be purchasing a small lustre file system in the near future with the expectation that it could grow considerably over time.  Since we don’t have a clear idea of how many inodes we might need in the future, I wanted to consider options that would allow us to potentially expand the MDT capacity over time.  (Of course, using ZFS would allow us to easily expand capacity, but I do have some concern about metadata performance.  Also, we will likely need to use project quotas which as far I remember is not available for ZFS at the moment .)

--
Rick Mohr
Senior HPC System Administrator