[lustre-discuss] Lustre quota

Mohr Jr, Richard Frank rmohr at utk.edu
Fri Aug 9 08:19:21 PDT 2019

> On Aug 9, 2019, at 8:34 AM, Anilkumar Naik <anilkumar.j.naik at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As per below quota commands, we are able to set quota for the users. however interestingly, users files outside /home/vamsee.voora also added to the same user quota.

That’s the way that user and group quotas work.  Any file that is owned by a particular user/group gets counted against the corresponding user/group quota (regardless of where it is on the file system).

> In short, we like quota for the user on his home directory only. Quota should not count other paths to compute user quota.

You might want to look at using project quotas.  You can create a unique project ID for each user (which could be the same as the UID for simplicity), and then use the chattr command to assign all files in the user’s home directory to their project ID.  Then you can apply quotas to the projects.

--
Rick Mohr
Senior HPC System Administrator