[lustre-discuss] mounting over ipoib via opa (was: mount issue and ecmp?)

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico4 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 05:22:54 PST 2019

thanks for the suggestion, but i'm not sure it's applicable in my
scenario.  the storage and lnet routers do not have OPA cards
installed, it's only the clients.  the storage does have a mix of
mellanox, ethernet, and qdr hardware, but that's all working fine.  i
have multiple clusters connected to the storage, on all three
interconnects.

i tried setting the arp filters in the document, but it hasn't made
any difference.  i do have the opa tools from intel installed, but i
had tried this with the rhel bundled opa drivers as well and got the
same result.  i've tried building the lustre client with --o2ib=no,
same result.  i tried connected vs datagram mode on the ipoib
interface, same result.

if i wasn't able to lctl ping the storage devices from the client, i
would presume there's a network problem.  if i switch from ipoib to
the ethernet mgmt interfaces on the clients, i can mount lustre, which
should confirm and narrow it down to the ipoib interface specifically
and not anything with the network/routing.  and since i have a bevy of
other protocols running over ipoib (nfs/ssh/others) i'm pretty sure
that localizes the issue to something with lustre

if there's more debugging i can try i'm all ears

the one message i get from client in syslog is

Lustre: 253340:0:(client.c:2114:prlrpc_expire_one_request()) @@@
Request sent has timed out for slow reply: [sent 1549976603/real
1549976603] req at ffff9c1d4bf40300 x1625268266467424/t0(0)
o503->MGCxxx.xx.xx.xx at o2ib100@xxx.xx.xx.xx at o2ib100:26/25 lens 272/8416
e 0 to 1 dl 154997615 ref 2 fl Rpc:X/0/ffffffffff rc 0/-1

nothing gets reported on the MGS/MDS other then a client connection
restored message.