[lustre-discuss] Frequency vs Cores for OSS/MDS processors

Simon Legrand simon.legrand at inria.fr
Thu Jul 4 10:41:13 PDT 2019

Dear all,

We are currently configuring a Lustre filesystem and facing a dilemma. We have the choice between two types of processors for an OSS and a MDS.
- Intel Xeon Gold 5217 3GHz, 11M Cache,10.40GT/s, 2UPI, Turbo, HT,8C/16T (115W) - DDR4-2666
- Intel Xeon Gold 5218 2.3GHz, 22M Cache,10.40GT/s, 2UPI, Turbo, HT,16C/32T (105W) - DDR4-2666

Basically, we have to choose between freequency and number of cores.
Our current architecture is the following:
- 1MDS with 11To SDD
- 3 OSS/OST (~ 3*80To)
Our final target is 6 OSS/OST with a single MDS.
Do anyone of you could help us to choose and explain us the reasons?

Best regards,

Simon