[lustre-discuss] 2.10 <-> 2.12 interoperability?

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Fri May 3 13:41:23 PDT 2019

On May 3, 2019, at 14:33, Patrick Farrell <pfarrell at whamcloud.com> wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> As a general rule, Lustre only supports mixing versions on servers for rolling upgrades.
>
> - Patrick

And only then between maintenance versions of the same release (e.g. 2.10.6
and 2.10.7).  If you are upgrading, say, 2.7.21 to 2.10.6 then you would need
to fail over half of the targets, upgrade half of the servers, fail back (at
which point all targets would be running on the same new version), upgrade the
other half of the servers, and then restore normal operation.

There is also a backport of the LU-11507 patch for 2.10 that could be used
instead of upgrading just one server to 2.12.

Cheers, Andreas

> On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 3:54:09 AM, Thomas Roth <t.roth at gsi.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> OS=CentOS 7.5
>> Lustre 2.10.6
>>
>> One of the OSS (one OST only) was upgraded to zfs 0.7.13, and LU-11507 forced an upgrade of Lustre to 2.12
>>
>> Mounts, reconnects, recovers, but then is unusable, and the MDS reports:
>>
>> Lustre: 13650:0:(mdt_handler.c:5350:mdt_connect_internal()) test-MDT0000: client
>> test-MDT0000-lwp-OST0002_UUID does not support ibits lock, either very old or an invalid client: flags
>> 0x2041401043000020
>>

>> So far I have not found any hints that these versions would not cooperate, or that I should have set a
>> certain parameter.
>> LU-10175 indicates that the ibits have some connection to data-on-mdt which we don't use.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Thomas
Principal Lustre Architect