[lustre-discuss] import_set_state_nolock() with binary args in lctl debug_file output?

Andreas Dilger adilger at dilger.ca
Mon Aug 24 20:23:47 PDT 2020

On Aug 14, 2020, at 3:44 PM, Sternberg, Michael G. <sternberg at anl.gov> wrote:

> In lctl debug_file output, for import_set_state_nolock(), I sometimes see binary arguments (sample snippet at end of post), and figure that's not a good sign. How can I get to the bottom of this?
>
> The only direct reference I could find is LU-7339 from 2015, which got no replies.

> import_set_state_nolock()) ffff8ae6833d6000 0<BD><CB><DA><FB><8A><FF><FF>0<ED>0o<FB><8A><FF><FF>: changing import state from FULL to RECOVER

According to the comments in that ticket, this is a case of the debug message
interpreting the structure incorrectly on the server, since the message is
normally printed on the client:

        if (imp->imp_state != LUSTRE_IMP_NEW) {
                CDEBUG(D_HA, "%p %s: changing import state from %s to %s\n",
                       imp, obd2cli_tgt(imp->imp_obd),
                       ptlrpc_import_state_name(imp->imp_state),
                       ptlrpc_import_state_name(state));
        }

This message could probably be changed from using obd2cli_tgt() to using
imp->imp_obd->obd_name instead.  That said, this is probably a red herring
and totally unrelated to your problem, but a patch against LU-7339 would be
welcome in any case.