[lustre-discuss] [EXTERNAL] permission denied for some files

Chad DeWitt ccdewitt at uncc.edu
Tue Dec 15 05:16:07 PST 2020

Hi Robert,

Just rolling dice, but is it possible that the append only attribute is set
on the files in question?

For instance, I have the attribute set on a file named *testing* (the
append attribute is shown by the 'a' flag):

# lsattr testing
-----a---------- testing

When I try to remove *testing* with the append flag set:

# rm testing
rm: remove regular empty file ‘testing’? y
rm: cannot remove ‘testing’: Operation not permitted

If that flag is set on your problematic files, the unsetting the flag will
allow you to delete them:

# chattr -a testing
# rm testing
rm: remove regular empty file ‘testing’? y

BTW - You have to use lsattr to see the append flag; a normal ls will not
show it...

Chad

Chad DeWitt, CISSP | University Research Computing

UNC Charlotte *| *Office of OneIT

ccdewitt at uncc.edu *| *https://oneit.uncc.edu