[lustre-discuss] LNET ports and connections

Degremont, Aurelien degremoa at amazon.com
Wed Feb 19 00:34:48 PST 2020

Thanks! That's really interesting.
Do you have a code pointer that could show where the code will establish this connection if missing?

Le 18/02/2020 23:34, « NeilBrown » <neilb at suse.com> a écrit :

    It is not true that:
       LNET will established connections only if asked for by upper layers.

    or at least, not in the sense that the upper layers ask for a
    connection.
    Lustre knows nothing about connections.  Even LNet doesn't really know
    about connections. It is only at the socklnd level that connections mean
    much.

    Lustre and LNet are message-passing protocols.
    Lustre asks LNet to send a message to a given peer, and gives some
    details of the sort of reply to expect.
    LNet chooses a route and thus a network interface, and asked the LND to
    send the message.
    The socklnd LND will see if it already has a TCP connection.  If it
    does, it will use it.  If not, it will create one.

    So yes : it is exactly:
      possible that the server in this case opens the connection itself
      without waiting for the client to reconnect?

    NeilBrown