[lustre-discuss] Lustre as VM backend

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Mon Feb 24 03:13:18 PST 2020

On Feb 19, 2020, at 07:17, Riccardo Veraldi <Riccardo.Veraldi at cnaf.infn.it<mailto:Riccardo.Veraldi at cnaf.infn.it>> wrote:

Hello,
I wanted to ask if anybody is using lustre as a FS backend for virtual machines. I am thinking to environments like Openstack, or oVirt
where VM are inside a single qcow2 file basically using libvirt to access the underlying filesystem where VMs are stored.
Anyone is using Lustre for this and if so any best practice for the specific utilization of Lustre in this environment (libvirt storage backend) ?

Riccardo,
I don't have any specific examples of this with containers, but AFAIK ANU/BOM in Australia presented about using Lustre for root filesystem images for their client nodes, which is similar.  I think you'd want to use fast flash-based storage for the VM images, since they will typically be updated with random 4KB IOPS from the guests.  Lustre 2.12 has much better flash performance than with 2.10 (there have been a few presentations about this recently).

Principal Lustre Architect
Whamcloud