[lustre-discuss] read performance and inode_permission

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Wed Jan 22 04:24:28 PST 2020

Dear all,

on my quiet test system, first I clear the llite.*.stats,
lctl set_param llite.hebetest*.stats=0, then I start reading from a 22k-files directory with 'ls -l'.

After ~20 sec, I get

lctl get_param llite.hebetest*.stats
llite.hebetest-ffff881016ffa800.stats=
snapshot_time             1579695320.008491088 secs.nsecs
open                      1 samples [regs]
close                     1 samples [regs]
readdir                   2 samples [regs]
getattr                   660 samples [regs]
alloc_inode               129 samples [regs]
getxattr                  1321 samples [regs]
getxattr_hits             1 samples [regs]
inode_permission          3960 samples [regs]

Basically the only counter that increases quickly is the inode_permission value.
Is this the expected behavior?

Cheers,
Thomas

Thomas Roth
Department: Informationstechnologie
Location: SB3 2.291
Phone: +49-6159-71 1453  Fax: +49-6159-71 2986

GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
Planckstraße 1, 64291 Darmstadt, Germany, www.gsi.de

Commercial Register / Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 1528
Managing Directors / Geschäftsführung:
Professor Dr. Paolo Giubellino, Jörg Blaurock
Chairman of the Supervisory Board / Vorsitzender des GSI-Aufsichtsrats:
State Secretary / Staatssekretär Dr. Volkmar Dietz