[lustre-discuss] rsync not appropriate for lustre

Bernd Melchers melchers at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 23 07:33:52 PST 2020

Hi All,
we are copying large data sets within our lustre filesystem and between
lustre and an external nfs server. In both cases the performance is
unexpected low and the reason seems that rsync is reading and writing in
32 kB Blocks, whereas our lustre would be more happy with 4 MB
Blocks.
rsync has an --block-size=SIZE Parameter but this adjusts only the
checksum block size (and the maximum is 131072), not the i/o block size.
Is there a solution to accelerate rsync?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Bernd Melchers

Archiv- und Backup-Service | fab-service at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Freie Universität Berlin   |