[lustre-discuss] mv / rename not working across directory boundary ("Invalid cross device link")

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Tue Jan 28 13:53:49 PST 2020

I would also guess project quotas is involved.

That is a behavior that we adopted from upstream ext4 and XFS, but it isn't clear that it is necessary.  It would be better to transfer the quota to the new project in the target directory, which is not different than EXDEV triggering "mv" to copy the file in userspace except that it avoids copying the data for large files.

I've filed https://jira.whamcloud.com/browse/LU-13176 for this issue.