[lustre-discuss] Questions about LU-13645

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Fri Jul 3 11:44:53 PDT 2020

On Jul 2, 2020, at 11:17, Chad DeWitt <ccdewitt at uncc.edu<mailto:ccdewitt at uncc.edu>> wrote:

Good afternoon, All

I hope everyone is doing well.

I had a few questions concerning LU-13645 - Various data corruptions possible in lustre [https://jira.whamcloud.com/browse/LU-13645].

We are looking at deploying Lustre 2.12.5 and while browsing JIRA, this particular issue caught my attention. I read the issue, however, I can't determine if it is severe enough to prevent upgrading.

Is anyone familiar with this issue and its severity/prevalence? Has anyone else upgraded to 2.12.5?

Chad,
from what I can see in that ticket, this problem (or problems) largely affect specific features that are not used by default - lockahead and SEL, and possibly DoM.

The lockahead feature is only used with a specific versions of MPI ADIO libraries, so it is unlikely that you are using it.  Similarly, SEL is new and doesn't even exist in the 2.12 release.  While DoM is in the 2.12 release, but from reading the ticket, it sounds like this issue is very difficult to reproduce, so either you are currently (not) seeing it, or (more likely) you aren't using DoM at all (you would know if you are), so upgrading to 2.12.5 doesn't affect this either way.

Principal Lustre Architect
Whamcloud