[lustre-discuss] patchless server vs. patched server

Pascal Suter pascal.suter at dalco.ch
Tue Jun 2 05:50:51 PDT 2020

Hi George

that used to be the case until before 2.10.1, but since 2.10.1 even
ldiskfs does not require a patch anymore. I have actually updated from a
patched 2.10.3 to 2.12.4 patchless and i am using ldiskfs for my MDTs
and ZFS for the OSTs

but i think i just found out why there are still both versions being
packed.. while i was looking for a link to quote regarding ldiskfs now
working without a patch, i actually found the announcement of 2.10.1  at
http://lustre.org/lustre-2-10-1-released/ which states

    "Patchless server build for ldiskfs is now routinely provided. Note
that the patched kernel version must still be used to make use of
project quotas"

And here is the document that my question was based upon:

http://wiki.lustre.org/Installing_the_Lustre_Software

it states:

"Note: With the release of Lustre version 2.10.1, it is possible to use
patchless kernels for Lustre servers running LDISKFS. The patchless
LDISKFS server distribution does not include a Linux kernel. Instead,
patchless servers will use the kernel distributed with the operating
system."

and here is a LUDOC issue regarding documenting this in the official
lustre documentation:

https://jira.whamcloud.com/browse/LUDOC-435

(amazing what you can find once you know what to look for ;))

i have applied for a lustre.org wiki account to add this missing piece
of information which should help people to choose better if they want to
use the patched or patchless kernel. luckily i'm not using the project
quota feature ;)

cheers

Pascal