[lustre-discuss] old Lustre 2.8.0 panic'ing continously

Torsten Harenberg harenberg at physik.uni-wuppertal.de
Thu Mar 5 02:46:09 PST 2020

Hi Aurélien,

thanks for your quick reply, really appreciate it.

Am 05.03.20 um 10:20 schrieb Degremont, Aurelien:
> - What is the exact error message when the panic happens? Could you copy/paste few log messages from this panic message?

a running ssh shell only shows

kernel panic - not synced.

No trace, nothing. I will try to capture the console next time that happens.

> - Did you try searching for this pattern onto jira.whamcloud.com, to see if this is an already known bug.

yes.. though not deeply. Was difficult, as kdump is not installed on
that one and I was a bit afraid to deeply touch the system as we bought
it pre-installed and the kdump-tools are not installed and /var/crash is
empty, so I fear kdump was not configured :-( So my only knowledge is
that the kernel panics :-(

> - It seems related to quota. Is disabling quota an option for you?

not easily, the system is always full and enforcing group quotas was our
way so far to keep the system from physically reach 100%. But of course
we could talk to the users and ask them to behave nicely.

> - Lustre 2.10.8 supports CentOS 6 and was a LTS Lustre version, it got a lot more fixes and is very stable. It could be an easy upgrade path for you before getting your new system?

That would be great!!!!!! Where do you find the server RPMs for this
version? I couldn't find them on whamcloud:

https://downloads.whamcloud.com/public/lustre/lustre-2.10.8/

only contains server RPMS for el7 as far as I can see.

Thanks again

 Torsten

Dr. Torsten Harenberg     harenberg at physik.uni-wuppertal.de
Bergische Universitaet
Fakultät 4 - Physik       Tel.: +49 (0)202 439-3521
Gaussstr. 20              Fax : +49 (0)202 439-2811
42097 Wuppertal