[lustre-discuss] The safe path for upgrading servers from 2.5.3 to 2.12.x

Tung-Han Hsieh thhsieh at twcp1.phys.ntu.edu.tw
Mon Nov 30 22:01:02 PST 2020

Dear Nguyen,

Usually the upgrade procedure is the following:

1. Shutdown the Lustre file system completely.
   (umount all the clients and servers)

2. In all the clients and servers, install the new version of Lustre
   software. If your servers are Lustre with ldiskfs backend, please
   install the recommand version of e2fsprogs package.
   (see https://www.lustre.org/download/)

3. In all the servers and clients, unload the Lustre modules by:

	lustre_rmmod

   Or you can reboot these machines instead.

4. In each of the servers, run the following command to upgrade:

	tunefs.lustre --writeconf /dev/<device_name>

   Note that you have to do it for all the MGS / MDT / OST.

5. When running tunefs.lustre, it may prompt you to turn on some options
   of the ldiskfs file system of corresponding device using the e2fsprogs
   utilities. Just follow the indications.

6. Then the upgrade is completed. You can try to restart the Lustre file
   system.

I used to upgrade from version 2.5.X to 2.10.X and 2.12.X directly.
Everything looks fine to me.

Cheers,

T.H.Hsieh